Dear BBP Community,

This letter is a follow-up to previous communications regarding the COVID-19 situation.  Throughout the week, I have had daily communications with the Suffolk County Department of Health, representatives from local government agencies, Suffolk County Superintendents, and the Bayport-Blue Point Administrative Team.  Based on the information we are receiving and acting out of an abundance of caution for the safety and well-being of our students, staff and community as a whole, we will be making schedule modifications for the upcoming week. Additionally, because the situation continues to evolve daily, I will be sending out updates about the status of future events.

As of today, the following events have been cancelled, re-scheduled, or re-structured:

Friday, March 13, 2020:  Superintendent Conference restructured to a planning day for staff
Friday, March 13, 2020: Final day for MS late winter sports (girls basketball, boys volleyball, wrestling)
Saturday, March 14, 2020:  SAT at the High School cancelled;  students can reschedule for May or June 2020
Sunday, March 15, 2020:  Chamber of Commerce Parade cancelled (Suffolk County decision)
Sunday, March 15, 2020:  SCMEA cancelled (SCMEA decision)
Monday, March 16, 2020 – Sunday, March 22, 2020: 
All scheduled field trips have been postponed and/or cancelled
All outside organization meetings, and extracurricular events held inside a BBP building outside of the regular school day hours have been cancelled or postponed.  This includes PTA meetings, PTA Enrichment Classes, Booster Club Meetings, CYO games, etc.
All employee non-essential out of district Professional Development is cancelled

Kindergarten registration, scheduled for next week at the District Office, remains open and has not changed.  Special Education annual reviews scheduled for the week of March 16th remain unchanged.  The use of our outdoor facilities by internal and external organizations will remain as is for the time being.  Please note that there will be no access to school buildings which means an indoor bathroom will not be available.

The decision to cancel events and close the buildings to outside groups was not an easy one, but one that will limit those from outside our community from coming into our buildings.  Suspending building usage will allow the custodial staff additional time to continue the enhanced cleaning of surfaces and will reduce large group gatherings in confined spaces. 

In the event the district needs to close, please know that we have been preparing alternatives to keep the students engaged in their learning.  Your building principal and teachers will communicate with you directly regarding class assignments should schools need to close.  I ask that you take the time to ensure all of your contact information (phone numbers and e-mail addresses) are up-to-date in the parent portal in the event the district needs to reach out to you.  Additionally, I strongly suggest that families review and discuss contingency plans for their child(ren) should the district be required to close the buildings.

As information becomes available regarding the virus, I will continue to update you.  The decision to close the buildings to internal and external organizations and/or district events will be made on a weekly basis.  This will include decisions related to upcoming field trips, concerts, science fairs, etc.

If you have any questions regarding a scheduled event at your child’s school, please contact your building principal.  I appreciate your understanding during this time.


Timothy P. Hearney, Ed.D.

Superintendent of Schools